George T. Morgan's famous Liberty Head design previously believed to have been modeled after Anna Williams. Research by Robert W. Julian dates this to February of 1877 and is actually the first of the 4 Morgan dies of this year.
The reverse has the eagle's feathers in a fantail design and per research by Robert W. Julian is believed to be the first 1877 half pattern by Morgan this year.
Only 7 examples are known as follows:
1) Fred-B/M 11/95, ANR 3/05 - PCGS66RB
2) Lohr, Davidson-B/R 11/76, Hughes 1979 FPLs, Hughes 1/80 - choice proof
3) Dibello-Stacks 5/70, Champa-B/R 5/72, Sieck-81 ANA, 82 ANA, D. A. Holt, Goldberg 9/11 as PCGS63RB, Heritage 1/12 - PCGS64RB
4) Stacks 2/53, Bergin-Stacks 6/84, Superior 10/89 as PCGS64RB, Kingswood 2/97 as PCGS65RB
5) Evans-B/M 8/98, Heritage 9/98 FPL, Heritage 1/99, ANR 6/05, Simpson collection – NGC67BN - illustrated above, earlier pedigree uncertain.
6) Heritage 1/10 - PCGS64RB
7) Heritage 10/10 as NGC65BN, Stacks-Bowers 11/11 as NGC66BN, Stacks-Bowers 11/12, Legend Auctions 6/15, Legend Auctions 7/17 - PCGS66BN
This design was also struck in silver J1514/P1678 with at least 7 known.
For pedigree information on this and all 1877 half dollars, click here.
Photo courtesy of Heritage.