A third dollar design by William Barber this has a plain coronet.
This example was struck only in copper. At least 5 are known as follows:
1) Woodside (bought in), Brand (journal #13890 on 3/30/1895), unknown intermediates, Dibello, Sieck-81 ANA, Auction 83 - silverplated.
2) Farouk, Bolt, Hughes 7/80, Fred-B/M 11/95 - cleaned and lacquered.
3) Smithsonian ex Chase Manhattan Bank collection, illustrated above.
4) Maris, Garrett-B/R 3/80, Bass-B/M 5/99 as PCGS65RB, 2001 ANA as NGC65RB, now PCGS66RB.
5) Judd plate.
6) Virginia collection, Heritage 4/17 - PCGS65RB, possibly same as #5.
Virgil Brand owned 2 of these, the second was purchased from Collins on 12/1/1893 - see journal #s 11444-6.
Photo courtesy of the National Numismatic Collection of the Smithsonian Institution.