MacNeil's Standing Liberty Quarter with a reverse having two olive branches - not laurel sprigs as noted previously in the reference works - around the circumference. This used to be J1796A in earlier editions of Judd.
Dr Judd believed this reverse to be a transitional one for the type II reverse used from 1917 through 1930 whereas Pollock lists it first. It is in fact the first design and was struck sometime between May 23 and June 24 of 1916.
The reference books list 2 patterns using this reverse.
J1988/P2048 having the obverse used on J1989/P2050 without MacNeil's initial "M" at the base of the right portal and more leaves around the letter "L" in Liberty. J1989 used to be J1795 in earlier editions of Judd.
Only 3 are confirmed, two of which are in the Smithsonian, the other, illustrated, being the Farouk, Kosoff-Bowers and Merena 11/95, Cline-Superior 10/90, StacksBowers 8/12 ANA example which is in a PCGSAU50 holder. To view the Smithsonian pieces, click here. For additional information on the Smithsonian pieces, click here.
The other, J1796/P2049, having the regular obverse with designers initial "M" is unconfirmed and has now been delisted in the 8th edition of Judd.
Photo courtesy of StacksBowers.